In this post, we’ve consolidated what we think are 12 of the best roach killer safe for pets in 2018. These natural pet safe roach killer are not only efficient for getting rid of our feared enemies but also safe to use around our little furry friends.
There are tons of articles on the web giving you recommendations on the best methods to get rid of pesky pests that are not welcomed in your home.
For pet-lovers, the problem arises when we are unable to discern which methods are pet-friendly that we can use to combat the roaches yet not present any form of harm or danger to our beloved pets.
|EcoSMART Organic Roach Killer Aerosol Spray
|Eco-Defense Organic Home Roach Spray
|Ultrasonic Electromagnetic Roach Repeller
>> Our top picks of Pet Safe Roach Killer
The EcoSMART Roach Spray contains a blend of plant oils which blocks the pest’s neural pathways (also known as Octopamine receptor), which result in an instant “knock-down”.
It’s botanical strong repellent formula keeps pests out of the area after treatment.
The pesticides in this spray have no undesired harmful effect on animals as they do not have receptors for Octopamine.
Diatomaceous earth, is commonly used as an ingredient to kill pesticides found in pets. Therefore, do not panic should your pets ingest it as it is perfectly safe for them.
However, please take note that there are two different types of diatomaceous earth products; the one we are looking at is the food-grade type and not the one commonly used for swimming pools.
How to use?
- Sprinkle the diatomaceous earth at places where you have seen the creepy crawlies, paying special attention to cracks, crevices and other potential hotspots such as behind household appliances.
- This will leave a trail of white powder, consisting of the fossil remains of algae that will cut the pest’s exoskeleton and kill them. While handling the powder, it is not necessary to wear protective gloves as it is safe to handle.
The humble catnip is another genius way to get rid of pests without spending a single cent. The active ingredient in catnip, nepetalactone, is non-toxic to pets and humans as well but does the nifty job of getting rid of the roaches.
How to use
- Place small amounts of catnip at corners where cockroaches are commonly sighted. Alternatively, catnip can be simmered in water to make catnip tea and sprayed in areas such as baseboards and kitchen counters.
- After boiling water, add catnip and let it simmer for several minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the tea solution into a spray bottle and now you have your first line of defense against the dreaded visitors.
- The natural chemical repellent in catnip will drive the cockroaches insane and prevent them from returning.
Going in the direction of readily available household products, baking powder is another option to consider as a roach killer safe for pets.
How to use
- Mix equal amounts of baking powder with any kind of granulated sugar in an empty container.
- Ensure that the mixture is evenly distributed and pours into different shallow containers. The rationale behind doing so is such that the cockroaches will be able to climb into it.
- The purpose of the sugar in the mixture is to attract cockroaches to it while the baking powder will exterminate the cockroach through expanding in its stomach.
6) Bay Leaves
On the subject of leafy greens, bay leaves are an organic and natural option.
This repellent drives the cockroaches away instead of exterminating them hence offering a slightly more human option.
Bay leaves can be conveniently located in spice stores as it is used frequently in Asian dishes. Roaches are repulsed by the smell of the leaves and will look for an alternative place to call home thus achieving your goal.
How to use
- Crush the bay leaves to obtain the powder. This should not be a huge problem as the leaves are already dried and can be ground easily.
- Sprinkle the powder near potential nest areas and before long the roaches will take their nest elsewhere.
- Alternatively, bundle bay leaves and place them in the cupboards and wardrobes if you face problems such as cockroach nibbled books and clothes.
Both the powder form and the oil version are popular pest control weapons.
How to use
- If using the powder form, sprinkle it like magic dust in the affected areas. For the oil version, pour the solution into a spray bottle and use on the same areas.
- A suggestion to make this method more effective is to not mix the neem with a sweet ingredient such as cocoa powder that will attract the cockroaches to come to it.
- Neem boasts the additional properties of keeping the chances of developing resistance to a minimum.
Other spices to take into consideration include Cedar, which is widely available in many different forms that all have its use. Cedar comes in the form of balls, chips, and blocks that are usually left in wardrobes and cupboard to keep the uninvited pests away.
Perhaps the most notable one amongst the myriad of options, the kaffir lime essential oil is a reliable choice. The oil is derived via steam distillation of the kaffir lime leaves.
How to use
- To use, simply add approximately ten drops of kaffir essential oil to a ratio of two cups of water.
- Transfer solution to a spray bottle for easy application in areas with roach activity. Pour the remaining solution into drains and sinks.
- Repeat this process for up to a week.
The upside is that you will have a pleasant smelling living area.
If you are unable to get your hands on the kaffir lime essential oil, other essential oils have been tested for their repellent properties as well and those include peppermint and the multi-function tea-tree oil.
If the roach infestation situation gets out of hand, it is recommended that the pets be sent on a staycation while tougher (and unfortunately not pet-friendly) measures are taken to deal with the pests.
Before turning to commercially produced insecticides to combat the pests, try a mixture of borax and sugar.
This is arguably the closest method to a toxic, chemical insecticide.
Borax causes the roach exoskeleton to dehydrate and damages their digestive system, which results in their death.
However, Borax alone is not as efficient and should be combined with something sweet to attract the cockroaches. This will not only affect the roaches that come into direct contact with it but also the other roaches when they bring it back to the nests. Sugar is the best candidate here to produce a good mixture.
How to set-up
- Mix three spoons borax and one spoon sugar and line this mixture along places where roaches crawl past.
- As the mixture is toxic, remember to wear gloves or wash your hands thoroughly with soap after doing so.
- Do not be alarmed by the appearance of many dead carcases in the morning, discard them and continue with the application for up till a week to ensure that all the roaches have been taken care off.
Borax should also be sprinkled under the sink and in the bathrooms (keep pets away).
If the pets have to be at home, this method can be used but restricted to higher places or gaps where pets are unable to come into contact with. This limits the effectiveness but nevertheless contributes in getting rid of the pests as the roaches can also be found in these hot spots.
This Ultrasonic Electric cockroach repellent is a ‘plug and use’ electronic repellent.
How Ultrasonic Electromagnetic Repellers Work? An ultrasonic repeller works by producing non-repetitive high sound frequency waves that causes discomfort to roaches (and other pests), hence creating an intense auditory-stressful environment for them (this is also known as animal behaviour modification).
The high frequency of Ultrasound cannot be heard by pets or humans but can cause noise abrasion to roaches and other common pests. Unlike pesticides or poisons, ultrasound does not kill roaches but attempts to create a stressful living environment that deters roaches.
On top of repelling roaches, it also works on other pests like mosquitoes, housefly, bat, spiders, mouse, rats and more.
This non-toxic and flexible door bottom seal is made of high quality silicone to help reduce noise with its 3 layer design and most importantly, keep cockroaches and other pest out.
On top of noise reduction and keeping pest out, Door Bottom Seal is also effective against the escaping of heat and cold during summer and winter. winter and summer (which in turns saves energy and reduce the cost of electricity).
Installation is fast and easy where no tools are required. Product comes with strong and non-degumming adhesive that stick firmly to your door. It is designed for both interior and exterior doors and this one size fits all product can be cut to your need.
[May: This product works both way. Not only does it blocks noise from outside, it also allows you to turn up music in your room without disturbing your roommate or neighbours.]
12) Beer Traps
For a slightly novel option and for all the beer lovers out there, why not consider a beer trap to get rid of all of the life’s problems such as the unwelcomed roaches.
How to set-up a Beer Trap
- Find a jar with some depth and a smooth outer surface for the roaches to gain easy access and fill it with old beer.
- Stale beer gives off proteins that are similar to pheromones given off by cockroaches to signal the presence of food and this will attract the cockroaches to come.
- Once the roaches fall into the jar, they are unable to escape and will drown.
- To increase effectiveness by making it hard for the cockroaches to climb back up, line the sides with petroleum jelly to make it extra slippery such that it is only a one-way road.
If you are using a thin-necked beer or wine bottle, pouring oil down the sides is a possible alternative.
An innovative way of utilising existing things in the household, the beer trap is definitely one of a more interesting idea.
An organic, natural solution is always a welcomed method in any household as it is not only pet-friendly but also less harmful to us as well.
For these pet safe roach killer solutions to work well, always keep in mind that you need a clean house to go with it. Extra effort should be paid to areas such as the kitchen and bathroom to keep the pests out.
Also, cutting off their food sources is a must-do for any method to be fully effective. It is difficult to completely deprive them of food, as they are known to be one of the most resilient and resourceful pests. However, cockroaches are unable to survive beyond a week without the necessities of food and water.
Store raw vegetables and fruits in the refrigerator and other items in airtight containers. Try to keep the areas crumb frees and be diligent in getting the dirty dishes done to make sure that nothing is left to chance.
Remember to take out the trash and seal it tight as well. Always bear in mind that prevent is always better than cure.
With the cultivation of good habits and a little help from the pest control solutions, your house will be kept pest-free for a long time to come.