In this post, we’ve featured 7 of the best roach killer products for home and outdoor use. Some of these cockroach killers are more suited for indoor applications (i.e within the house) while others are more ideal for outdoor use (i.e garden and lawn).
Cockroach killers generally come in two forms of applications:
- Gel-based poison – usually works in the form of bait
- Liquid-based insecticides treatment – applied by spraying mixed solution
Some are newer while most of them have been in the market for a while and have proven to withstand the test of time. Improving the formula to beat the evolution of the immune system of the roaches. So, if you are looking at how to get rid of roaches without an exterminator, read on:
Best Roach Killer Products
|1||Advion Syngenta Roach Gel Bait (Editor's Choice)||Bait|
|2||Combat 12 months Cocroach Killer Bait Station||Bait|
|3||Black Flag Roach Motel Trap||Trap|
|4||Talstar Pro Jug Roach Killer (Editor's Choice)||Insecticide|
|5||Demon Cockroach Killer insecticide||Insecticide|
|6||Vendetta Roach Gel Bait Insecticide||Bait|
|7||Suspend SC Insecticide Roaches Professional Pest Control||Insecticide|
|8||Spectracide Indoor Roach Control Fogger||Fogger|
Here are the 7 best roach killers:
The Advion Syngenta Gel Bait is a gel bait made with non-repellent active ingredient developed to overcome gel bait-aversion in tough cockroach populations.
It targets all cockroaches’ species including the German, American, Australian, Smoky brown, Brown-banded and Asian roaches.
How this roach killer works:
The roaches feed on gel bait and bring it back to the nest and share with fellow roaches, which in turns shares the gel with other roaches, eventually killing the nest with this domino effect.
How to use:
- Squeeze 1 pea size droplet every 5 inches where roaches are commonly sighted at home. Roaches love humid area like under the sink.
>> Best Roach killer for home
The Combat’s roach killer bait is designed to attract and kill small roaches (like the German Roaches) in hours and prevent them from coming back for up to 12 months.
Contains powerful insecticide formulation, Fipronil, which provide quick results.
How it works:
Similar to the Advion Syngenta Gel Bait, roaches enter the bait station, consumes the baits and take some with them back to the nest to share with fellow roaches; killing others and destroying the nest.
* Opt for the Bait strips version for hard to reach areas instead
How to use?
- Simply place individual bait stations in areas where roaches are commonly sighted.
>> Best roach Trap
The Roach ‘Motel’ by Black Flag uses the same concept as most roach traps in the market but is designed to hide the dead roaches (or any other dead insects) from view.
Not just hiding it from users but also from other roaches (and insects) attracted to the trap. The box reads the tagline “Roaches check in….but they don’t check out”…
And here’s how:
How it works
The Roach Motel works by attracting cockroaches into the trap using a formulated attractant. The roaches will be stuck to the powerful glue adhesive once they are inside.
This roach trap can stay effective for about 2 to 4 months before it needs to be replaced. Once full, simply throw the trap away without having the need to pick up dead roaches around the house.
How to use?
- Remove trap from wrapper and place at wall corners, in cabinets, under sinks and behind appliances (i.e. the refrigerator & washing machine). Basically wherever roaches have been sighted or potential places where they might live and breed.
- Allow 3 to 4 days for bait to work. If trap remains empty, change the placement spot try and monitor.
- When trap is full, flip trap over to expose fresh sticky adhesive. Discard when both sides of the trap is full.
[May: Yes we know this is a roach trap and not a killer in the sense where it kills them directly. Here’s the deal, once the pests are trapped, you can either spray insecticides over them or simply leave them to die of starvation! How’s that for a ‘killer’ product! ROARRR]
The Talstar Professional Mulit-Insecticide (formally known as Talstar One) is widely used by pest control professionals and kills over 75 pests (namely roaches, spiders, earwigs, mosquitoes, ticks, termites, ants, fleas and millipedes).
It has a long residual that will last up to three months after spraying and can be used both as indoor and outdoor pest control as it doesn’t break down easily with rainfall.
How It Works?
Talstar Pro contains an ingredient known as bifenthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid that works by disrupting the insect’s nervous system causing a weakened state followed by death.
This residual active ingredient is picked up by the bugs when they come into contact (instead of consumption). As such, Talstar Pro does not provide instant kill but is thorough in getting rid of the roaches.
How to use?
- If you are using a container, unscrew the measurement chamber cup and induction seal. Tightly screw cap back on and tilt the container slightly till the liquid flows into the measurement chamber. Pull off measurement cover and let enough amount into the equipment for application.
- Remember to read the label before use. A simple gauge is that 1 quart is equal approximately to 32-96 gallons. Alternatively, use the Squeeze-N-Measure Container for a more accurate gauge.
- One quart is equal approximately to 32-96 gallons. Alternatively, use the measurement container for a more accurate gauge.
5) Demon WP-WSP
The Demon WP is considered a long lasting residual insecticide as every application can last up to 3 months. It’s odorless and can be used for both outdoors and indoors.
If you have been looking for a ‘knock-out’ roach killer, this is it. The Demon WP is designed to give instant kill to the roaches the minute they come into contact.
Tip: Shake the mixed product often as it is being sprayed to ensure consistency in effectiveness
Note: Be careful when spraying product around dark colored surfaces (i.e wall, cabinet, furniture) as it can leave a stain.
How It Works?
The active ingredient found in Demon WP controls and decreases the number of pests. Pests consumes the insecticide when they ingest it while grooming themselves and a wipeout occurs when the roaches bring it back to their nests.
How to use?
- Enclosed in convenient packets, mix contents with water before transferring into hand-held or power-operated applications.
Note: Demon WP leaves a white powdery film that is especially noticeable on dark surfaces.
Similar to Black Flag, Vendetta is a gel-based insecticide designed to provide spot, crack and crevice application for curbing the roaches especially indoors.
Easy to apply, the gel attracts different types of roaches, which makes it a convenient option. A great feature is the long shelf life of three years that will make it a reliable option for you for a long time.
Vendetta can be used in cases where sprays are not the preferred choice.
How it works
Vendetta gel contains abamectin B1 which lures the cockroaches to it.
Abacmectin, the result of natural bacteria fermentation, is not as prevalent as other forms of insecticide ingredients. Besides getting rid of roaches, it is largely used to control pests in crops.
How to use?
- Simply use the syringes that are provided and use the plunger to pump the gel.
- Detach the cap from the nozzle and graze the applicator to the desired surface and push the plunger to fill up cracks and crevices. Remember to recap the dispenser after each application to preserve the effectiveness.
- Use in areas inaccessible to children and pets
- Avoid applying gel on carpets, fabrics or clothing as it may cause staining.
- Do not use residual insecticide sprays on or near Vendetta as this may cause bugs to not fall for the bait.
- Avoid using Gel baits once roaches start to disappear from your house. Gel baits are not designed for use as preventative measures as they may attract roaches that were otherwise not in the area.
- You do not have to worry if the bait will erode away as it is proven to stick on non-greasy and non-dusty surfaces.
- About once a month, monitor to see if the treatment is used up.
- A few applications might be needed to eradicate a wholly infested home.
- Determine if the area has light or heavy infestations of these pests.
- For light areas, about 4 to 6 bait traps per 100 square feet are suggested while for heavy areas (yikes!) up the number to 12 to 24 bait traps per 100 square feet.
- Each trap that is about 3 millimeters should use up 0.25grams of solution.
[May: If it is your first time trying out this product, we recommend using a something sharp (i.e a screwdriver) to get product out of the tube before application. Should gel bait proves to be effective in your situation, invest in a plunger or bait gun.]
Tip: It is best to rotate different brands of gel bait every few months for best results.
With long staying power, the Suspend SC roach insecticide can last up to 3 months after initial application. It does not leave residue, is odourless and can be used indoors and outdoors (i.e. on turfs and lawns).
What sets this roach insecticide apart is that it is licensed for use in restaurants and areas where of food manufacturing, processing and serving.
A spraying tool such as one-gallon sprayer is recommended when using the Suspend SC.
How It Works?
The Suspend SC contains an active ingredient called Deltamethrin, which poisons the roaches’ central nervous system, where their nerve cells become overly excited which causes paralysis and eventual death.
How to use?
- The Suspend SC is a liquid concentrate that has to be diluted before application. Ensure that the formula is well mixed before spaying.
- To ensure long-term sustained effectiveness, re-apply after every 21 days. Focus at areas where the roaches breed, using 0.25 to 1.5 fluid ounces of formula in one gallon of water across an area of 1,000 sq feet. Increase intensity depending on severity of situation.
A helpful tip would be to use the half-half method. Pouring half the amount of water into the spray tank, then the Suspend SC, before the remaining water. This will help get rid of the excess foam.
Also, this insecticide is best used with a hand pump (check out the Chapin 1 gallon pump sprayer). Allow time for application to dry before allowing pets and children to access the area. For outdoor application, apply at least 24 hours before the weather is forecasted to rain.
Storage-wise, avoid direct sunlight and extreme temperatures to ensure a long shelf life. Certain surfaces, such as concrete may require repeated applications.
Note: This product is not suitable for use on edible vegetation.
The Spectracide Bug Control Indoor Roach Fogger works by producing fine and penetrating pesticide mist that kills roaches on contact and force roaches out of their hiding place.
It’s formula is non-staining to clothes, fabrics, bed sheets, bed linings, blinds, carpets, wooden floor or wooden furnitures.
Note: Do not use fogger in enclosed spaces (i.e in the closets or cabinets), and avoid using foggers in rooms with 5ft x 5ft or smaller size (instead, set fog in another room and allow the mist to enter).
Nothing freaks us out more than cockroaches, especially the ones that take flight!! (Double exclamation marks to enhance the emphasis).
[May: Spider and Lizard freaks the hell out of Judy too!]
We’re sure you will agree with us when we describe these roaches as:
A Face That Only a Mother Will Love
Without a doubt, Cockroaches are one of the toughest pests to get rid of. They are persistent and simply hard to kill. They appear to have no fear or annoyance towards most insect repellents out there.
After a while of trying to keep them away by eliminating exposure of food and drink in the open, it’s time to take the solution to the next level and take matters into our own hands.
It’s time to put our game face on and go on a killing spree!
It’s nothing to do with violence or cruelty. Getting rid of these hard-shelled pests is essential to protect our family.
For heavy infestation, invest in a stronger and industrial based roach killer like Talstar, Demon and Suspend. In cases of smaller infestation (especially in residential or indoor areas), consider options like baits and gels to attract the cockroaches to carry the poison back to their nests.
A roach trap should be sufficient if you just have a few night crawlers to deal with in areas where food is present. It is important to remove baits once the roach problems have improved or gone away to prevent attracting more roaches to the vicinity. Use roach repellents in this case.
Sometimes a product can have tons of positive reviews but doesn’t work for some based on factors like environment, the immunity of the roaches your are dealing with, the way we apply the product and even the batch of the product you recieve.
[May: We’ve had some rare experience where a product works the first time but doesn’t work the second. We suspect it could be due to the roaches have grown smarter or have developed immunity to them. Either way, when that happens, we always ask for an exchange and try again as sometimes; it could be due to us getting a faulty unit].
Now that you know what are the Best Roach Killer Products in the market. It is time to take action against the creepy crawlers! Choose the cockroach killer based on your current situation, budget and preference. Leave a comment to let us know if you’ve tried any, and whether they worked for you.