In today’s post, we will cover 7 of the best roach killer products available in the market.
Cockroach killers generally come in two forms of applications:
- Gel-based poison – usually works in the form of bait
- Liquid-based insecticides treatment – applied by spraying mixed solution
Some of these cockroach killers are more suited for indoor applications (i.e within the house) while others are better used for outdoors (i.e garden and lawn).
Some are newer while most of them have been in the market for a while and have proven to withstand the test of time. Mostly by improving their formula to catch up with the evolution of the immune system of the roaches.
Nothing freaks us out more than cockroaches, especially the ones that take flight!! (Double exclamation marks to enhance the emphasis).
[May: Spider and Lizard freaks the hell out of Judy too!]
We’re sure you will agree with us when we describe these roaches as:
A Face That Only a Mother Will Love
Without a doubt, Cockroaches are one of the toughest pests to get rid of.
They are persistent and simply hard to kill. They also seem to have no fear towards most insect repellents out there.
After a while of trying to keep them away by eliminating exposure of food and drink in the open, it’s time to bring things to another level and take matters into our own hands.
It’s time to put our game face on and go on a killing spree!
It’s nothing to do with violence or cruelty.
Getting rid of these hard-shelled pests is essential to protect our family.
Best Roach Killer Products
It targets all cockroaches’ species including the German, Australian, and Smoky brown, Oriental, American, Brown, Brown-banded and Asian roaches.
How this roach killer works:
The roaches feed on gel bait and bring it back to the nest and share with fellow roaches, which shares with other roaches which eventually kills the nest with this domino effect.
How to use:
- Squeeze 1 pea size droplet every 5 inches where roaches are commonly sighted at home. German roach love areas with humidity; hence areas like under the sink are ideal.
The Combat’s roach killer bait is designed to attract and kill small roaches (like the German Roaches) in hours and prevent them from coming back for up to 12 months.
Contains powerful insecticide formulation, Fipronil, which provide quick results.
How it works:
Similar to the Advion Syngenta Gel Bait, roaches enter station, eat the bait and take some with them back to the nest to share with fellow roaches; killing others and destroying the nest.
* Opt for the Bait strips version for hard to reach areas instead
How to use?
- Simply place individual bait stations in areas where roaches are commonly sighted.
>> Best roach Trap
The Roach ‘Motel’ by Black Flag uses the same concept as most roach traps in the market but is designed to hide the dead roaches (or any other dead insects) from view.
Not just hiding it from users but also from other roaches (and insects) attracted to the trap.
The box reads the tagline “Roaches check in….but they don’t check out”…
And here’s how:
How it works
The Roach Motel attracts roaches into the trap using a formulated attractant.
Once inside, they become stuck in a powerful glue adhesive. This roach trap is effective for about 2 to 4 months before it needs to be replaced.
Once full, simply throw the product away without having to need to clean out cabinets or pick up dead bugs throughout the house.
How to use?
- Remove trap from wrapper and place at wall corners, in cabinets, under sinks, behind appliances (i.e. the refrigerator & washing machine). Basically at areas where roaches have been sighted or potential places where they live and breed.
- Allow three to four days to work. If trap is still empty, try placing it at another location.
- When trap is full, flip trap over to expose fresh sticky adhesive. Discard in the trash when both sides are full.
[May: Yes we know this is a roach trap and not a killer in the sense where it kills them directly. Here’s the deal, once the pests are trapped, you can either spray insecticides over them or simply leave them to die of starvation! How’s that for a ‘killer’ product! ROARRR]
The Talstar Professional Mulit-Insecticide (formally known as Talstar One) is widely used by pest control professionals and kills over 75 pests (namely cockroaches, ticks, spiders, mosquitoes, termites, ants, fleas, earwigs and millipedes).
It has a long residual that will last up to three months after spraying and can be used both as indoor and outdoor pest control as it doesn’t break down easily with rainfall.
How It Works?
Talstar Pro contains an ingredient known as bifenthrin. It’s a synthetic pyrethroid that works by disrupting an insect’s nervous system causing a weakened state followed by death.
This residual active ingredient is picked up by the bugs when they come into contact (instead of consumption). As such, Talstar Pro does not kill the pests instantly but is thorough in getting rid of the roaches.
How to use?
- If you are using a container, unscrew the measurement chamber cup and induction seal. Put on the cap and screw tightly. Tilt the container slightly till the liquid flows into the measurement chamber. Afterward, pull off the measurement cover and allocate adequate amount into the equipment for application.
- For multiple uses, distribute according to the markings present on the bottle. Anoint to all entrances, for example, windows and doors. Remember to study the label carefully before each use.A friendly tip that one quart is equal approximately to 32-96 gallons. Alternatively, use the Squeeze-N-Measure Container for a more accurate gauge.
- One quart is equal approximately to 32-96 gallons. Alternatively, use the Squeeze-N-Measure Container for a more accurate gauge.
The Demon WP is considered a long lasting residual insecticide as every application can last up to 3 months. It’s odorless and can be used for both indoors and out.
If you have been looking for a ‘knock-out’ roach killer, this is the one. The Demon WP is designed to kill the roaches the minute they come into contact.
Tip: Shake the mixed product often as it is being sprayed to ensure consistency in effectiveness
Note: Be extra careful when spraying Demon WP around dark colored surface or furniture as it will leave a stain.
How It Works?
The active ingredient found in Demon WP controls and decreases the number of pests. Insects are exterminated when they ingest the insecticide while grooming themselves and a wipeout occurs when the roaches bring it back to their nests.
How to use?
- Enclosed in convenient packets, dilute the contents with water before transferring into hand-held or power-operated applications.
Note: Demon WP leaves a white powdery film that is especially noticeable on dark surfaces.
Similar to Black Flag, Vendetta is a gel-based insecticide tailored to be a spot, crack and crevice solution in curbing the roaches especially indoors.
Easy to apply, the gel attracts different types of roaches, which makes it a convenient option.
A great feature is the long shelf life of three years that will make it a reliable option for you for a long time.
Vendetta can be used in cases where sprays are not the preferred choice.
How it works
Vendetta gel contains abamectin B1 which lures the cockroaches to it.
Abacmectin, the result of natural bacteria fermentation, is not as prevalent as other forms of insecticide ingredients. Besides getting rid of roaches, it is also largely used to control insect and mite pests in crops.
How to use?
- Simply use the syringes that are provided and use the plunger to pump the gel. A pea-sized amount is enough for a long period of time.
- Detach the cap from the nozzle and graze the applicator to the desired surface and push the plunger. Fill up cracks and crevices with the bait. Remember to recap the dispenser after each application.
- Use in areas inaccessible to children and pets
- Avoid placing gel on fabrics, carpets, clothing, or textiles as it may stain some absorbent materials.
- Do not use residual insecticide sprays on or near Vendetta as this may cause bugs to not fall for the bait.
- It is recommended to rotate Vendetta Roach Bait Gel with another cockroach gel bait such as Advion Roach Gel or Maxforce FC Roach Bait Gel every few months for best results. Rotating gel baits amongst different brands and active ingredients prevents bait aversion and provides a more complete and effective roach control over time.
- Avoid using Gel baits once roaches start to disappear from your house. Gel baits are not ideal for use as preventative measures as they may attract roaches that were otherwise not in the area.
- You do not have to worry if the bait will erode away as it is proven to stick on non-greasy and non-dusty surfaces. Cockroaches will subsequently be lured to the bait.
- About once a month, monitor to see if the treatment is used up. Ensure that there is always a visible layer of product to attract the roaches.
- A few applications might be needed to eradicate a wholly infested home.
- Determine if the area has light or heavy infestations of these pests.
- For light areas, about 4 to 6 bait traps per 100 square feet are suggested while for heavy areas (yikes!) up the number to 12 to 24 bait traps per 100 square feet.
- Each trap that is about 3 millimeters should use up 0.25grams of solution.
[May: If it is your first time trying out this product, we recommend using a sharp tool such as a screwdriver to get the product out of the tube before application. Should this method be effective, invest in a plunger or bait gun.]
With long staying power, Suspend SC can last up to 3 months after initial application. It leaves no residue, is odorless and can be used in and outdoors (i.e. on turfs and lawns).
What sets this roach insecticide apart is that it is licensed for use in restaurants and areas where of food manufacturing, processing and serving.
A spraying tool such as one-gallon sprayer is recommended when using the Suspend SC.
How It Works?
The Suspend SC contains an active ingredient called Deltamethrin, which kills by acting as a powerful poison to the insect’s central nervous system.
Once poisoned, the insect’s nerve cells become excited, causing paralysis and eventual death.
How to use?
- The Suspend SC is a liquid concentrate that has to be diluted before application. Ensure that the formula is evenly spread out before spaying.
- To ensure the sustained effectiveness, apply at regular intervals of 21 days. Pinpoint areas where the insects breed and target those areas, using 0.25 to 1.5 fluid ounces of formula in one gallon of water for about 1,000 square feet. Increase the amount depending on severity of situation.
A helpful tip would be to use the half-half method. Pour half the amount of water into the spray tank, then the Suspend SC, before the remaining amount of water. This will get rid of the excess foam.
Also, this insecticide is best used with a hand pump (check out the Chapin 1 gallon pump sprayer). Set aside some time after application before giving pets and children access to the area. To ensure you get the maximum effectiveness, for outdoor application, buffer a day before rainfall.
Storage-wise, avoid direct sunlight and extreme temperatures to ensure a long shelf life. Be sure to use the product within three years.
Certain surfaces, such as concrete may require repeated applications.
Note: This product is not suitable for use on edible vegetation.
A roach trap should be sufficient if you just have a few night crawlers to deal with in areas where food is present.
It is important to remove baits once the roach problems have improved or gone away, as this will backfire and attract more roaches to the vicinity. Use roach repellents in this case.
Sometimes a product can have tons of positive reviews but doesn’t work for some based on factors like environment, the immunity of your roaches, the way you apply the product and even the batch.
[May: We’ve had some rare experience where a product works the first time but doesn’t work the second. We suspect the roaches grown smarter or have evolved to be immune to them. Either way, when that happens, we always ask for an exchange and try again as sometimes; it could be due to us getting a faulty unit].
Now that you know what are the Best Roach Killer Products in the market. It is time for you to take action against the creepy crawlers!
Choose the cockroach killer based on your current situation, budget and preference.
Leave a comment to let us know if you’ve tried any, and whether they worked for you.